Your Ad Here

Duchovny reveals Anderson feud

by Andrew Williams
Friday, August 1, 2008


David Duchovny, 47, became famous as UFO-obsessed FBI agent Fox Mulder in The X Files. It ran for nine years, although he left after eight amid rumours he'd fallen out with show creator Chris Carter and co-star Gillian Anderson. He recently starred in TV show Californication. Duchovny reprises his Mulder role in film The X Files: I Want To Believe, out today.

Why did you do the film?
It was always in the back of my mind. Especially leaving the show a year before it finished, I always said to Chris and Gillian I didn’t want to destroy the show, I just wanted to do it as a movie franchise. I wanted to do another X Files film, it didn’t matter about the money. It provides some resolution in my relationships with Chris and Gillian.

Would you do more films?
Absolutely, I love how it looks and enjoy working with everyone. It’s not up to me though, it’s down to the economics of it.


This is more accessible than the first film though, is that intentional?
Yes we wanted to re-introduce the X-Files world to people and attract new fans who might not be familiar with it.

Will the lack of aliens upset the fans?
It might. Everyone knows the story can’t just be about one thing. If it was about aliens I'm sure it would have upset some people. You can't please everyone all of the time. So far though Chris tells me the fan response is very positive, they're very happy just to have the X Files world back.

Was working with Billy Connolly a laugh?
Everyone knows he’s very funny but he’s also interested in what other people have to say, which isn’t a trait of most comedians. He doesn’t feel he has to make a joke the whole time. He listens a lot. He’s not draining to be around as some comedians are.

When was the last time you saw Gillian Anderson prior to shooting the film?
It had been a number of years but when you spend that much time with someone it doesn’t feel like you’ve been apart. She’s like my sister.

After working so closely together for eight years you must have been sick of the sight of each other.
Absolutely. Familiarity breeds contempt. It’s nothing to do with the other person. All that fades away and you’re just left with the appreciation and love for the people you’ve worked with for so long. We used to argue about nothing. We couldn’t stand the sight of each other.

What’s the most extreme thing a fan’s done to meet you?
I did The Howard Stern Show. He gave this woman a series of humiliating things to do to meet me. If I’d have known about it, I’d have asked him not to. She ended up having mayonnaise spread over her ass and let them throw baloney at it until it stuck. I was as gracious as I could be under the circumstances.

What’s it like being the kind of man women will put mayonnaise on their bum to meet?
It goes up and down. Sometimes you’re popular, sometimes you’re not. It has very little to do with you or your work. It has to do with vicissitudes of business.

Did you enjoy the massive fame you achieved when X-Files first became a hit?
Some aspects are enjoyable but it becomes claustrophobic very quickly.

Have you got any favourite conspiracy theories?
My father wrote a play about Lee Harvey Oswald. There’s a strong strain of that in the Duchovny family. I think Oswald was a gunman working alone, though, ha ha.

Has your English MA ever come in handy?
I can’t think of specifically how but it’s not a bad thing to have read some of the best books ever written. I was going to write about contemporary American fiction and poetry for my dissertation.

You nearly got a PhD in English. Why did you turn your back on academia?
I didn’t think I’d be great at it. I was at a high-level school [Yale] where I saw people who were really great at it. I could do it but it was hard. I decided to find something I really wanted to do.

Have you ever been tempted to go back and finish it?
I would do if it was a possibility but I can't see how I’d get a year off to study eight hours a day and write.

What’s the worst job you’ve had?
I was a delivery boy for a meat market – which was fine, but I also had to clean inches of fat and grease off the chicken rotisserie. It was good aside from the rotisserie. It was in Greenwich Village and I got to see inside people’s homes – I’d carry the meat in and see how people live. I was 14 and found it fascinating.

Have you ever been attacked by an animal?
A seal made a run at me in Malibu. I thought he was injured, I was going to have a look and call an animal rescue group. As I got close he reared up and I ran away but he chased me. I looked behind me and thought: ‘How can an animal with no legs be outrunning me?’. He gained on me but veered off into the water. It makes you realise how puny man is, that he can’t even outrun a thing with no legs.

If you were a kangaroo what would you keep in your pouch?
A bottle of tequila.

When was the last time you had too much?
I never drink too much. I enjoy one drink, two drinks I’m drunk. I never drink three drinks. I know I don’t need it and I don’t want it. I know the English can’t understand it.

Source: Metro.co.uk

0 coments: